Top 5 Benefits of LED Lighting | Innovative Office Solutions

3M's Advanced LED Light Bulb

3M’s Advanced LED Light Bulb

The list below is just a sample of the benefits associated with LED Light bulbs and lighting systems.

Everyone has heard of LED light bulbs and lighting systems, but some may not fully understand the advantages and disadvantages.  The main disadvantage associated with LED lighting are the up-front costs.  However, the multiple other benefits of implementing LED lighting systems far outweigh the up-front cost of bulbs, installation, etc.

Following is a list of the 5 largest benefits of LED lighting systems.

1.    Energy Efficiency

When comparing the efficiency of LED lights to more traditional lighting with conventional light bulbs, the difference is vast. LED’s provide an estimated energy efficiency of between 80% and 90%.  What does this mean?  It means that 80% to 90% of the electrical energy you are paying for is converted to light, while the other 10% to 20% is converted to other forms of energy, such as heat.

Traditional incandescent bulbs operate at 20% efficiency, losing the remaining 80% of energy to heat.  These numbers are proof that LED lighting systems efficiency is far superior to traditional lighting methods.

2.    Lifespan

LED bulbs and diodes have a lifetime expectancy of up to 100,000 hours, meaning you could leave your lights on for 11 years – straight – without them burning out.  Or, if you used them every other day, they would last for 22 years.  Finally – if you use your LED lights for 8 hours a day, it would be 20 years before you would need to buy new LED bulbs.

Needless to say once you invest in LED lighting technology, you won’t be buying light bulbs for a while.

3.    Environmentally Friendly

LED light bulbs are free of toxic chemicals – whereas most fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury and other environmentally hazardous materials.

Contained in LED bulbs are non-toxic materials that are 100% recyclable and can decrease your carbon footprint by one third.  Along with the reduced carbon footprint, 25 incandescent light bulbs equal 1 LED bulb, in terms of materials and manufacturing.  So, with LED bulbs, you’re not only saving money and energy now, you are helping provide a greener future for generations to come.

4.    Durability

LED lights are extremely durable and are built with the ability to withstand strong environmental factors.

Because of their ability to withstand these rough conditions, they are ideal for outdoor lighting systems – especially when exposed to wind or rain, construction sites or manufacturing sites, or vandalism.

5.    Lighting Power

When powered-on, LED lights brighten immediately – eliminating the warm-up period seen in some traditional lighting systems.  These benefits cater greatly to projects involving traffic and signal lights, but also work well for other projects.

LED lights can be turned on and off without it effecting the  lifetime or light emission of the bulb – whereas traditional lighting may take longer to reach full brightness and frequently turning on and off the light can drastically reduce the lifetime of traditional bulbs.
These are just five of the main benefits to LED lighting systems.  Honorable mentions also include reduced UV emissions, design and usage flexibility, light disbursement and much more.

For an assessment on how your business can cut costs using LED bulbs, visit our website to contact our facility specialists today!

4 Responses to Top 5 Benefits of LED Lighting | Innovative Office Solutions

  1. Thanks for a straightforward assessment. You might open not by saying that the downside of LEDs is their cost, but their UP FRONT cost. Because, as you rightly show, they’ll save you a ton of money over time. The challenge for many people is that they think short-term; otherwise, the change would be a relatively easy one.

    Also, most of the consumer A19 bulbs I’ve seen only claim a lifetime of about 25,000 hours, so the 100,000 mentioned only refers to some types of bulbs. And as a point of interest, LEDs don’t go out — they dim over time. So replacing them comes down to seeing that they no longer provide enough light for where they’re being used.

    • andywhisney28 says:

      Thank you for your input, Steve!

      We have amended the blog entry to reflect your “up front cost” change suggestions – great thoughts!

  2. Excellent, concise post.

    A few more advantages:
    1. Under durability you can add that LED lamps are more tolerant to vibration and are not subject to the “clickability factor” where CFLs and fluorescents actually reduce life span when they are switched on and off excessively.
    2. Color and flexibility – LED lamps are available from 2400k to over 6000k, with 2700 to 5000k being the most prevalent. Due to the LED light being directional, designers are able to create pretty impressive lamp designs for almost any application.
    3. Temperature range – LEDs generate substantially less heat than traditional bulbs, plus they are rated for temperatures as low as -40 degrees F. They actually perform better and last longer when in a cool environment.

  3. Lumenstar says:

    The best benefit is the life of the LED lamp which normally doesn’t require frequent changing of bulbs specially in busy environment like office or industry.

    Further LED flood light offers more brightness with less energy

    Thanks
    Lumenstar Team

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: